The tradition is for people to make carpets (alfombras) out of sawdust. The sawdust is dyed to an assortment of colors and then people use the dust to create beautiful scenes. They are placed in the streets where the parades pass and are destroyed as soon as the are stepped on. The entire processional route is covered with these alfombras that were being completed up until the moment that the Roman Soldiers began marching. It really was an incredible sight. Below was my favorite alfombras in Antigua!
Check out how the people have to lay on boards to reach across.
Even fruit is used in some alfombras.
Very detailed!

The streets are left with just the remnants of saw dust!



1 comment:
Kelly,
I love the carpets! How awesome! I bet they were so beautiful in person. Such intricate details.
I talked with your mom and she is so excited about coming to see you.
I hope that you had a great Easter.
Miss you and love you!
Kathy, Marcus, Katie and Marshall
Post a Comment