Thursday, April 23, 2009

Volcan Pacaya... climb number 6 (at least)

The Gumbel gals and I climbed the Volcan Pacaya one day during their visit. It is incredible how much the volcano changes every time I go. As you can see in the first picture, there is a new cone growing to the right of the old cone. That is where the lava is really flowing. Our guide decided that the easy was for us to get down to start climbing up to the new crater was to just run! So off we went!




Our guide decided that the easy was for us to get down to start climbing up to the new crater was to just run! So off we went! It was super funny. I guess it was not running, but rather I was skiing. I had not realized how much I needed my arms for balance. We made it to the bottom where we began our climb up... up... up



Finally, we made it to the lava! It was not overflowing like I have seen in the past, but it was still incredible as always.


Our tour guide Cesar. He as our official photographer/mule! He carried all our stuff.

The final stretch of the descent... We were pooped!

No comments: