Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ms. Seagraves, or should I be called mom!!

It has been one long week for me at school. I feel like I have been SUPER MOM at school rather than just your run of the mill teacher. It started with a Monday morning throw-up. Yes, a little girl walked over near my desk, kinda looked up and got sick in the trash can. This has happened with her before, so we were not too worried. She seems to just get sick a lot in the morning. This followed with a 8:30 a.m. nose bleed of a little boy. After a couple of meetings, I returned to the early morning sick child, getting sick again. So... that was Monday!

Tuesday, BOOK FAIR!! I was given the money to take about 10 of my 24 kids to the book fair. That's fine when kids can find their own books, but 45 minutes and 10 kids later, I felt like MOM of the day!

Wednesday was the day that my old students came back to visit. That happens almost everyday, but on Wednesday, one in particular came. Nothing changed! The first thing I had to say was "zip up that zipper!" He's also the one that called me mom last year :)

Thursday was the day of dirty faces and band aids! One of my students came to school with a finger that had been crushed in the car door and was still bleeding. After multiple band aids and washing, it finally stopped. This along with asking students to wipe their faces after lunch, I was ready to go!

I did not realize that being a teacher was so much like being a mom. There is a saying by my Spanish teachers that the teacher is the second mom. I really felt like that this week! So moms, is this just my preparation??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, part of teaching IS being a mom and you're passing that test with flying colors... But the throwing up part is above and beyond the call of duty - and twice in one day - ugh! Glad that week is over for you!