Sunday, November 2, 2008

Kite Festival


Every November 1st, there is a Kite Festival to celebrate All Saints Day in Guatemala. The kite festivals take place in the department (county) of Sacatepequez which is located about 45 minutes from Guatemala City. This time last year, mom and dad were visiting and we were unable to go to the event, so I was sure not to miss it this year! Two amigas (Jes and Catie) and I decided to venture off to Santiago to see the sites. We were amazed at what we found. We entered the town and immediately parked the car (we figured it would be much easier to walk the farther distance than have to fight traffic leaving and we were very pleased with our decision). We walked about 25 minutes into the town and through many street vendors and crowds of people to the local cemetery where we were greeted by hundreds of people and kites. People were flying kites from the tops of graves while others were placing flowers along the graves of their family members and still others were just observing and taking pictures like us! It was an experience of a lifetime and something that I will never forget. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Entering the cemetery of the town.


Let's go fly a kite....

Notice the beautiful colors!

Jes in front of one of my favorites!
Dueling kites! Those are the ones that are pictured above.

People on top of the mausoleum releasing kites... some were able to get up while other plummeted on top of the people!

Si! I was really there!

Look at the bright colors. Just imagine if the sky had been clear!
I loved seeing all the kites in the sky.



The first of the sequence of raising the kite. Notice that starts flat on the group. Someone has to climb up that bamboo stick and attach it at the top.

Other people are underneath the kite pushing it up. It was definitely a team effort!
It is almost up! Now they just have to attach the back.


Jes and I after the kite is finally up and stable.

2 of the 7 HUGE kites that don't fly, but are incredible.

Watch out for falling kites! It was dangerous out there!

4 comments:

D-Al said...

Those are some crazy kites! All of your pictures were incredible. I decided that I want to go to a kite festival while I am there... so you think you could organize another one?

Jake, Katherine, Asher, and Mary Clair said...

what a fun day!! wish I could have been there to explore it with you...
those huge kites were nuts!
love you!

Jenny said...

the kites are gorgeous! You're right, I WOULD have loved it..

Beth said...

It was one of the coolest cultural events I've seen in Guatemala! And SO DIFFERENT from a U.S. gloom-and-doom cemetary which is quiet, flat, and barren.....this cemetary was colorful, decorated, overflowing with flowers and family, and everyone was in a celebratory mood!