Monday, July 28, 2008

When life throws you a lemon....

make lemonade!!! That is what I have always heard. Well, sometimes the lemons are bigger than you need for one pitcher of lemonade. This past week, I was thrown quit the lemon. As you have seen in previous posts, my car was in the shop due to the last accident and I was using Laura's car while she is in the States. I use the term was because it was stolen in front of a friend's apartment complex last week. I went with a friend to the doctor because she is expecting a baby and day now (can't wait to meet little Sienna Marie) and my friend asked if I wanted to go! OF COURSE!! And it was at noon and the whole street was filled with cars from local businesses and apartment complexes. When we returned from the doctor and tour of the hospital, the car was gone. After I literally sat down on the pavement and picked up my heart from the ground, I talked to the police. They had no clue why and actually stated that they were stunned that it happened on this street... as was I! I am now in the process of getting all the police reports filled in their correct places (not as easy as at home) and thank God she had insurance! I am working on that as well! Laura is pretty bummed her car is gone, DUH! But she has been so nice about this whole thing. I feel terrible and just wish it was my own car that was taken. But alas.... nothing can be changed now!

I know many of you may be saying, KELLY WHY ARE YOU STAYING THERE?? I know this, because I have thought this too. I know that I am supposed to be in Guatemala for many reasons. It is an incredible country and I know that God wants me here. I am learning so much about myself, and the Lord, and how to lean solely on Him in times of need. And through all of these times of trouble, I have remained safe. My personal being has not felt attacked or threatened in any way. Things are things... and they can be replaced.

Just to help myself and those of you out there who read this know why I am supposed to be here I will share some reasons I am here!

1. I love my job! I loved teaching where I teach and who I teach! The kids are so different than many of you picture Guatemala. I teach many of the wealthier families and although they do not deal with many of the hardships that many Guatemalans face, these kids fight their own battles. I love being a happy face and light to them daily! I want to be that person they know they can depend on and who loves them! But don't worry, I am also very strict :)

2. I love my roommates! I live with 2 other incredible women. Laura and Rebeca have become two new friends that I thought I was too old to make! I guess I thought that no one would ever compare to my college and childhood friends. I thought that no one would ever know me like they know me. But Laura and Rebe showed me that you are never too old to make lifelong friends! They are a constant support whenever I need them.

3. I love my church! I love La Iglesia Bautista Shalom! I think I love it because some of my favorite people in all of Guatemala attend this church. I can walk in and feel the love of the Lord and receive a wonderful greeting from the whole congregation. They don't make me feel like "the gringa" every time I am there!

4. I love my ministries! I have so much fun teaching English to the guys in Global Soccer Ministries. I have even more fun when I am given the chance to go out and serve with them in the community. And I also adore working with Vida Joven (Young Life) here in Guatemala. My time does not allow me to be with both groups often, but when ever I do have the time, they welcome me with open arms! I also love these groups because they have opened their arms to my fellow gringos from school and allowed me to share their vision with so many of the teachers I work with here!

5. I love the weather! I know that may seem silly, but it is true! It is really hard to wake up gloomy when the sun is shinning and it is 60 to 65* outside YEAR ROUND! I love that I can throw open my door in my room and climb back under my covers and enjoy the morning (that is weekends and vacations only)!

6. I love the people! The reason I love Guatemala is the people. The people I know, the people I just pass on my street, the people I see at the grocery store, the people I see in the villages around the country... the people! The culture is so warm and they have a sense of love for all of those around them. They invite you into their home and feed you a meal even if you just stopped by for a quick visit. They treat you like family even when you have just met. They don't rush through a conversation or on to the next customer, but truly take time to talk and engage in a conversation with you! I am learning a lot about how to be 100% where I am when I am there. I don't want to rush through something just to get to my next location or conversation. They have taught me to slow down!

Well, I hope that you enjoy this bit of lemonade that I have made out a lemon!

4 comments:

Kelly and Brent said...

Oh Kel! I definitely think you are meant to be in Guatemala just maybe not with a car :) The car situation hasn't been good to you. I am glad that you are safe though and that you are enjoying your time there. It sounds like you are having an amazing time and meeting amazing people.
Miss ya!
Kelly

Unknown said...

So what about, "when life gives you lemons, get some tequila, salt, and shots." Just a thought. Also, you could watch the terrible teenage dramas portrayed in Dawson's Creek. I mean, when you are an adult, doesn't it feel just better to know that you're no longer 16, trying to figure out who to kiss. Oh wait, 12 years later (for me) that's still the issue. I love you!

Jenny said...

Kel...your perspective is right on! Glad you've had a couple days to let it all sink in. You're right, things are things and you have only learned and grown from everything! Love you friend.

Jenny

Unknown said...

Kelly
You forgot to mention your awesome apartment and the food. Both are worthy to be in the top ten. I also had a great time in the land of Guatemala.