I am feeling SO much better! Sorry it has taken me so long to write. I feel like a lot has happened in these last couple of days.
This past weekend was a three-day weekend due to the elections. I decided to not go out of town because I figures some extra relaxation time was in order. The weekend started off on a bit of a tragic note. Rebeca’s best friend Melissa was in a very severe car accident here in Guatemala. I thought that both Laura and Rebeca had forgotten about our plans to get together on Friday night because neither would answer their cell phone and no one came home to get me. It was not until I finally spoke with Laura that I found out where everyone was. I felt horrible!! Because I don’t have a car yet, I was limited to walking down to some neighbors (The Greene’s) to play with their four boys (ages 2, 4, 5, and 7). The family is on staff with Young Life and so Brady was at the hospital with Meli.
On Saturday, Laura and I ran to PriceMart (Our Sam’s Club) to get pizzas for everyone at the hospital. Melissa was still in the ICU and the hospital waiting room was packed with family and friends. That night I made dinner for Rebe, her brother, and Melissa’s sister and mom and watched the Dawgs lose to South Carolina (all Raymond’s fault because he did not cheer loud enough from my seat!).
Sunday was Election Day here in Guatemala. Normal Sundays have very little people out and about, but this past one was CRAZY!! I got to be a part of it first hand (although my finger did not show the ink mark like everyone elses). After going to church, I went with my friend Iris and Ingrid to vote. It was an incredible experience! The buses are free on Election Day so there are people everywhere. Plus there is a specific location in which each person has to vote. Almost every school is a voting site and the roadways were packed. It took us almost 40 minutes to go about 3 kilometers. So while we waited in the traffic we sang Spanish pop songs at the top of our lungs!! After voting (which only took about 10 minutes and by they way Colom and Perez Molina will be in the run-off if you are interested) we returned home to pick up their brother (Roblans) and mother (mama) and we headed to another sister’s house for lunch. (I have basically been adopted by this family so they take me in for family meals or random adventures). It is always great to spend time in a family setting when you feel like you are all alone in a place!
I hung out with the Mejia Rosales family until about 4:30 when I headed straight to the Greene’s for their son Guille’s 4th birthday. It was a fun time of pizza, Sprite, cake, and presents. All the boys were so excited to try out Guille’s toys. He got one of those binoculars in which the round disk shows pictures. I remember them from when I was little. You pull the lever on the side and you see the image! It was a hit. I bummed a gift off Laura because I could not get to the store!
I thought Monday was going to be my relaxing day. I went to go and look at cars (though it was unsuccessful and now I am getting anxious). Then in the afternoon I as going to Paraiso where I had been working over the summer with Roblans because he had soccer practice. About an hour before he was going to come he called and asked if I wanted to go with the family to Antigua instead. I, of course, said sure as I always do when it comes to going places. Mama, Ingrid, Roblans, Madelyn (Roblans’ daughter) and Katy (another little girl) went to Antigua to hang out instead. We walked around and ate at POLLO CAMPERO! It was nice to get away and see Antigua from locals’ eyes. On our way back they asked if I wanted to come over for dinner and then they would run me home. I answered with an affirmative OF COURSE and of we went! I finally returned home about 9 p.m. that evening and promptly went to bed.
Now to this week! Independence Day is Saturday here in Guatemala. It has been such an exciting week of activities here at our school. We have seen folkloric ballets, made typical candles and other crafts, and tomorrow is dress-up day!! I have heard the Guatemalan national anthem (and it is extremely LONG) song by 3rd graders. I am excited to see what I will get to do on Saturday. I am hoping that there are fireworks involved. They use fireworks to celebrate everything else, so I expected it for this too!!
I know this was a bit long, but I guess I had a lot to say! Hope you are great!
PS- My students are still doing great and they are super cute! Oh yeah, I am here to teach :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Can't wait to hear about your upcoming Independence Day adventures! Sounds like fun!
Love, Mom and Dad
Mmmmm! Price Smart Pizz-izzle! We went yesterday for our LONG adventure and I got the *best* frappucino for less than $1.50. Gotta love Guate prices. Especially when they are Smart Priced, right?
Melissa is in our prayers!!
Hey Kels!!!! Long time no talk!! I enjoy reading your blogs and trying to imagine your life there in Guatty...I remember Pollo Campero!! Good eats! Well I just wanted to say hi and that I missed ya, and glad to read your doing so well and having a great time..love you!!
Kelly...you are awesome! Are you feeling normal again? It was great to chat with you the other day. I'm going to the beach with my Mom and Dad this weekend in NC - a little mini-vacation. Someday, we'll play at the beach again together. We'll ride bikes and frolic in the waves and make creative drinks...maybe in Guatemala, who knows? : ) Eat up lots of fruit for me!
Post a Comment