Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Washington State



For this summer break I decided I would travel to the Northwest of the US. I had never been there and having met people from these areas, I decided it was time I go and chec
k it out. So... this is the first of my three part picture journey/blogs.

I flew out of Jacksonville, Florida on July 17th only to sit at the ATL airport for 5
extra hours on my direct flight to Seattle (due to mechanical issues on the plane). Now, I did not want to fly on a plane with these "issues," but it would have been nice if they would have let us leave the area. They just kept saying... "Oh, we may have a plane for you at any moment!" WRONG! So after arriving in Seattle at close to 10 p.m. i was tired.

The next day began my adventure with Ruth, a friend from Guatemala. She is also a teacher at my school here. We started out in Pike's Market. It was a great experience seeing the flying fish! The fruits, vegetables, flowers, everything were just so bring and rich. I enjoy perusing markets so it was great to see this famous market up close and personal.



After lunch and some fun shopping, Ruth and I met up with another friend who I met while he was volunteering with a soccer ministry in Guatemala. He works at the Space Needle and was able to take us up to the top. It was a clear, crisp, BLUE day (I did not think that was possible in Seattle). From the top (as you can see below), the city in magnificent and Mount Rainer was just seated perfectly above some distant clouds. Pictures can n
ever truly grasp what you can see with your eyes.

Following our tour from extreme heights, we decided we should Ride the Ducks! Now, normally I would try not to be this touristy and would rather not stand out as "visitor," but after NUMEROUS recommendations to ride this car/boats, we decided to do it! WOW! IT WAS A BLAST! The drivers play music, wear funny hats, and narrate the tour of the city on both land and water. It was a great way to see Seattle and I would do it again! Thank you everyone for encouraging me to do it!




Yes, even the ducks were out to see the "DUCK"
So these are my attempts at being artsy. I think the Space Needle is a pretty incredible sight in Seattle and so I found some unique ways to view it.


So after spending Sunday at "A bite of Seattle" and trying some incredible different foods, Ruth and I headed to her parents house in west Washington. It was a town called Aberdeen. So we went to dinner with the parents and then on Monday headed of the the beach... HA! It is NOT a beach trip with you have to wear a fleece... OR TWO! I will change my statement and say we went to visit the shore. It was a cold at one part and I was thankful I had my fleece vest and fleece jacket, but it finally brightened up enough to unzip a bit. It was neat to see the Pacific Ocean from this point of view because I am so used to the black sand beaches of Guate.

So after just 1 1/2 days of action packed days of sightseeing and traveling, Ruth and I returned to Seattle via a car ferry. It was yet again another beautiful day. I love my time in Seattle and I would love to get back there again.
Next stop, VICTORIA, CANADA!

No comments: