Tuesday, March 17, 2009

And I thought that Rocky Top got old....

This past weekend I attended my first official soccer game (one where there were paid professionals and not my friends) and it was truly a unique experience. The two teams that were playing (the Rojos y the Cremas) are both based out of Guatemala City and are very huge rivals... think Georgia vs. Florida BUT WORSE. So my friends are Rojos fans, but would not let us "gringas" sit on the Rojos side because if they beat the Cremas, there was going to be a big fight. So we dressed as Cremas fans (in white... not red) and sat in their section. Walking into the stadium, we were stopped a couple of times by whistles or comments but thankfully our "body guards" (aka... they guys) kept us safe.
Now I wish I had a camera (so I googled imaged a foto), but I was not going to tempt losing it, so I will do my best to use my words to describe the event.
The stadium seats around 30,000 people and is divided into sections (gated off with fences and yes.... razor wire!). Based on where you sat, you paid a different price. We had "end zone" seats (for lack of better terms) and we paid around $4 a ticket.
So we arrived about 20 minutes before the game began and it was very calm. People were just hanging out. There were many vendors selling all types of tasty treats (though I was not going to tempt stadium food). Then.... came the fireworks. YES! Fireworks! I am not sure how and if they were allowed, but they were there and they were in abundance. I was patted down twice before entering, so I must assume that they are permitted. It was unbelievable. I could not see in front of me because of the clouds of smoke and I had to cover my mouth for a good five minutes because I literally could not breathe. I could taste the smoke for the next 30 minutes. I am not exactly sure what was occurring, but it must have been some sort of tradition. Next time I will know to bring my umbrella so that stray sparks do not set me on fire!
The game began and the chants began! They did not stop for the entire 90 minutes. I thought Rocky Top got old at Tennessee football games, but this was UNBELIEVABLE! Chanting, chanting, chanting! The fans were screaming at the top of their lungs. Everyone knew the chants... but us gringas :) There were chants about "bringing the girls from the other team over to them..." I am glad that I did not understand everything that was going on.
The game ended 1-0 with the Cremas beating the Rojos. We were with some sad fans on the way home, but I still enjoyed myself! It was incredible. I can still taste the fireworks, hear the cheers, and smell the food! OH HOW I MISS FOOTBALL SEASON!

2 comments:

Missy said...

Kel,

It sounds like you are loving life! I am so happy to hear your stories and see what is going on! Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date!

I can't wait to hear about your next adventure!

Luvs,
Missy

Unknown said...

Hey Kel,

I'm glad you had those body guards with you!! Sounds like it was a crazy time.

Talk to you soon.

Love,
Beau

p.s. Rocky Top still gets old...