So JOY #1 arrived and we left to go to Lake Atitlan. This became an adventure. Beth and Gift (two amigas) were accompanying us on this trip, but instead of taking two cars to the lake, we just dropped one off in Antigua because that was Hilary and my last stop. So... imagine this... we have been cruising right along for about 2 1/2 hours (only 1 more to get to the lake) when I smell a terrible burning aroma! YES, my temperature is all the way RED!! I HAVE OVERHEATED (SORROW #2). After some tears (on my part) and only about an hour a tow truck arrives thanks to my insurance!! THANK GOD FOR INSURANCE!! We drive all the way back home and drop my car off at my house where we are met with pizza, beer, my roomies and some friends (JOY#2). We relived the experience and then crashed!! (JOY #3). This is a joy because we got some much needed sleep and I was in my own bed!
JOY #4 occurred on Friday when we went to the Santa Teresita Spa in Amatitlan. For just around $17 you get a 30 minute massage, a fruit smoothie and access to the pools!! The four of us ladies just jumped into Beth's car and spent to day relaxing poolside and sipping our fruit smoothies!! Not a bad life!! We returned to the city and had a wonderful dinner at Tapas Y Canas a local Spanish tapas place. The atmosphere is incredible and I love the food (JOY #5).
Saturday was spent partly as planned. Beth took us to Antigua (although I was supposed to have a car) and we walked and ate and shopped. Before going to Antigua we went to a local orphanage where my friend Alison works. I have been 3 or 4 times now and it is just an incredible place. It is called Casa para los ninos Aleluya! (JOY #6). My favorite little girl Carmen immediately jumped into my arms and we spent about an hour playing there.
So after the Gift and Beth left us in Antigua, I took Hilary to my favorite spot- Dona Luisa's Bakery! (JOY #7)Just the smell can draw people for miles!! This all happened on the way to dinner at my second favorite place- the Santo Domingo (JOY #8). We stopped and bought a half a loaf of banana bread just to snack on as we walked (as if we haven't eaten enough) and it was incredible!! We followed this snack up with a steak meal at the Santo Domingo! The atmosphere here is indescribable because every where you look are candles. It is truly breathtaking!
Sunday was spent shopping and eating!!! The artisan markets in Antigua are incredible (JOY #9).
Overall, as you can see, there were many more joys than sorrows. Hilary could not have come at a better time. I just needed some one familiar visiting!! With the sorrow of the family, it was nice to have mine close!! Another wonderful vacation in Guatemala!!
1 comment:
Regardless of the sorrows, it was a FANTASTIC weekend!! Hillary was great. I'm so glad she visited you, Kelly! Bo is lucky.
Post a Comment