Finally Antigua day was great! The whole city shuts down and there is a big parade, fireworks, and festivities. Each city has a Saint and for Antigua it is Santiago de los Caballos. So last Wednesday was the day to celebrate him! It was great to be in town for this event.
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Antigua Guatemala
Emily and I spent the last week at language school in Antigua Guatemala. It was a wonderful experience. It was great for me to study the language again and refresh myself on all the grammar that I had forgotten. We lived with a host family and four ladies from Kentucky. It is always neat to leave with the locals. This family was great about helping us with our Spanish and speaking VERY slow for those who needed it. Along with taking language classes, I was able to take private Salsa lesson, climb a volcano and experience Antigua Day. My salsa teacher, Julio, said I was a natural, but there was nothing natural about making my hips move like that! My hips did not lie! I am a GRINGA! But it was very fun and I am so glad that I splurged and took the classes.
The volcano was INCREDIBLE! Volcan Pacaya is still very active and we were able to walk up to the flowing lava. They would have never allowed for this in the States but as dad would say TG- Typical Guatemala! No one really cared. It actually erupted last August and you could still see the hardened lava. We roasted marshmellows in the heat from the lava rock we were walking on.

Finally Antigua day was great! The whole city shuts down and there is a big parade, fireworks, and festivities. Each city has a Saint and for Antigua it is Santiago de los Caballos. So last Wednesday was the day to celebrate him! It was great to be in town for this event.
Finally Antigua day was great! The whole city shuts down and there is a big parade, fireworks, and festivities. Each city has a Saint and for Antigua it is Santiago de los Caballos. So last Wednesday was the day to celebrate him! It was great to be in town for this event.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment