Happy New Year!! 2007 was a great year for me. My move to Guatemala was by far the biggest change. I believe that it has caused me to mature a lot in my faith to be so far from so many people that I have depended on in my life. But at the same time, the Lord has been very faithful about placing new people in my life here in Guatemala to both challenge me and encourage me. Also surrounding myself with so many new and different types of people has made me have to focus even more on my identity in Christ rather than on whom people expect or want me to be. Deep thoughts for me I know!!
Now back to the fun stuff. So I returned to Guatemala a day late because of the fog when trying to leave Atlanta. So after a night at the Ramada Inn in Charlotte, I headed to Guate in first class (Jennifer, thanks for the offer for a place to stay. It was rainy, gross, and I just went to the hotel and relaxed! I appreciate it!!). It was great! I had a beverage even before we took off (which again was over an hour later then planned) and I did not have to pay for a meal on the plane. I also was given a fresh out of the oven cookie midway through the flight! I could get used to that!!
On Sunday, I went to church in the morning and then returned at 3:00 to play soccer with some girls against another church. It was great, but a bit painful. As you can see I received some nice bruises. No one at my church wears shin guards, and I already stand out as that “gringa” so I opted to play Guate style. I am not sure if those bruises are from shoes or the ball, but either the other team was rough or I need to learn how to play soccer without hurting myself! But we did win so that was great! Unfortunately when I returned to my car the battery was dead. So after jumping it, my car now sits in front of my apartment until I can get it fixed. But as God provides, Laura my roommate is out of town so I can use her car for the time being!
New Year’s Eve in Guatemala is a family event. I am so fortunate to have people that love me here and invite me to spend holidays with them. Rebeca my roommate and her family and friends were at my apartment for the evening. The Hardeman-Rosales family had invited me to spend the evening with them as well. I stayed here at my house until about 8 when I ventured to the Hardeman’s for dinner and fireworks. It was a feast! We had turkey, dressing, potatoes, the works!! Then at midnight the city erupted in fireworks. It was one of the neatest things to see. Because their house overlooks the entire city all we could see for miles was bursts of color. I really cannot put into words the quantity and variety of fireworks. For about 20 minutes the sky was covered with explosions of red, green, white, yellow, purple, blue, etc. At noon the next day, they began again. This time the sun made them more difficult to see. Again at 6 P.M. the sky was illuminated with the lights. Guatemala sure does know how to ring in the new year!!
For New Year’s Day, I went to Rebeca’s parents house for lunch. Again we had turkey, potatoes, cole slaw, and more! I have eaten my way from 2007 to 2008 for sure!! It was special to be a part of their family as well.
3 comments:
It was so good to see you and Thank you for Maddie's little dress. I took a picture of her in it...I will post soon.
Sorry your trip home was a little bumping but glad you made it back safe.
Miss you!
~Kel
Kel,
Glad you made it back safe, and I am glad you got a nice hotel to relax in when you were stuck in Charlotte. Next time, please call me, I insist!
Anyways, it was great seeing you over the holidays :)
Oh, I think you bruise looks like a shoe print, or maybe that is the angle I am looking at it :)
Love ya,
Jennifer
Kel! So good to see you at the partay....I'm glad you made it safely to Guat and that you had a "blast" (pun intended) ringing in the new year!! love you friend
JH
Post a Comment