Today is my dad's birthday! So if you see him or even know him wish him a happy day!! I am not as cool as Tatum who makes collages for her family on their birthday (sorry fam), so this will have to do!
I have officially finished my first week of pre-planning at my new school here in Guate. I did not realize that it was going to be quite as intensive as it has been, but nevertheless I will learn everything in its time. We are definitely in the rainy season now and so I am sitting underneath my overhang in my apartment because for some reason, when it is cloudy, I can get the internet from the Universidad del Valle. Now I am not one for stealing internet without asking first (my neighbors last year laughed at me when I asked if they wanted me to pay them for the use of their internet), but because UVG is part of my school I feel like it is just a perk for living close!! So back to the school talk....
Things I have learned about my new life at CAG:
1. I have a planning period everyday! Not just one, but multiple depending on the day. There are days when I can plan for 90 minutes straight! Now that is incredible.
2. Some of my students have body guards. Now that is a HUGE change from Morgan County Elementary! The only sign outside of the school is a firearms sign because of this. The body guards will spend the whole day outside of the school just in case "something" were to happen.
3. The emergency manual includes what to do in the case of an earthquake. Now we don't have that many earthquakes in GA, but we seem to have quite a few tremors here (don't worry mom, I just feel like I am shaking a bit. Nothing to scary!)
4. I have never known so many cultural differences among people from the same country (and i am talking about from the US). I am the lone Southerner in the group of new teachers and it has been a culture shock to learn about my fellow colleagues. I am sure that I am a culture shock to them as well. Country Kelly (Brit, Al, Bridget- yall know what I mean) has not reared her head to much, but man do they laugh about me saying y'all. My Principal said I can use the word, but I can't allow the children to use it in their work! AHH!! That means I can't write it on the board!
5. Beth and James Mildren are the best! These are my new married couple friends from Kansas! They have been a God-send to me here! Although they are from the Midwest they are trying to understand me and my Southern ways. I love how they want to hang out and they will just ask me if they can come over. My roommie Rebeca loves them because they just make themselves at home. They even let me sit between them while we watched a movie (I did this so that I did not have to call a hand check in the middle of American History X). They are just fun to be around.
All in all, Guate is great!! I don't feel like I am as far away as I really am which is wonderful. I call home whenever I want to (mom likes that). And I have/had incredible roommates to keep me energized (A-Train, Josie- Enio called looking for you!). Please let me know how you are doing and comment if you have read this far. Sometimes I feel like I am writing to myself (which is good too).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hi Kel,
Glad to hear that you're getting settled with school stuff! Back to the real world...
It was also great to read Beth and James' Kelly-lovin' post. You must owe them big money now! :-)
Looking forward to "skype-ing" again soon. Love you and miss you.
Beau & Hilary
Thanks for the happy birthday wishes, Kelly! Glad to hear that everything is going so well for you! I Love You, Papi
Hi Kelly, Sounds like things are going great for you! I'm glad to hear that you have met some wonderful new friends - Beth and James' top 10 list was incredible! I am glad that you call me all the time too! It keeps yo mama happy! Keep speaking "Southern"!!
LOVE, Mom
Wow, life at an international school is definitely different than a public school . . . and I'm sure this is just the beginning of things that you'll notice. I'm going to be taking mental notes for when I go abroad. (Though I've been so happy to be back in NYC I'm starting to think it might be another two years here rather than one).
Body guards? Wow, that's intense. Good to hear you've got plenty of planning time!
Hey Kel,
So glad that you are having fun and meeting some really nice people. I am sure that helps make the time go by much faster.
Sounds like you are going to enjoy your school even if it is going to take time to adjust. I bet you will have some of your other teachers picking some of your "southern" words before you know it. :)
Good luck with the first day of school. I am sure it is going to be an exciting one!
Miss ya,
Kelly
Kelly,
Your Mom's comments are awesome! I want my mom to say "yo mama" at some point in her life. Just to try it out. Try it on. See how it fits. It probably won't, but it will be worth it when she says it! Bodyguards...hmmm....is this a job for James for US? Let's utilize him!! :) hehe!
Hey Kel,
So glad to hear everything is going good and that you seem to like your new school thus far. Definitely sounds different then the GA schools.... Don't worry, you are not just writing to yourself, we ALL love to hear how things are going, especially this stay-at-home mom :)
~Jennifer (Willson)
Kelly....I don't think you are really writing to yourself...you know Mom and Dad are ALWAYS gonna keep up! Sounds like you're having a ball down there. So happy for you. We need to catch up soon....talk to you lata
Jenny H
Hi Kelly-
How did the first day of school go for you? Your students are certainly lucky to have such an enthusiastic teacher - you'll be great.
Your mom and Laura are here at the beach and we're all going to a turtle nest excavation tonight. Because they've never had this wonderful experience, I hope there are some live baby turtles still in the nest so that they can see those tiny babies crawl off to the big ocean - it is truly a wonderful Fernandina experience. Then we'll head to The Surf to use your dad's birthday coupon ;-). Did you hear that The Surf's going to stay open for at least another year - yeah! Can't imagine Amelia without The Surf, can you?
Thanks to your blog, I feel like I'm getting a wonderful tour of Guatamala without having to set foot on a plane. Also love seeing that the Jennifer and Kelly are checking it out (Hi Gals!)
Can't wait to hear more about your students.
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Trish
Post a Comment